Thursday, July 11, 2024

PI Update: Disney's Best Kept Secret

July 2010 was nearly two years after Pleasure Island closed and virtually nothing was taking place on the Island to replace our beloved clubs. We ran this editorial 14 years ago: 
When are heads finally going to roll at Pleasure Island? We are rapidly approaching the 2-year anniversary of the PI clubs closing yet we see no action being taken to create any new vision for our Island. As I circulated around crazy crowded Universal CityWalk last night, I remained in disbelief that Disney gave away this huge adult customer base to their major competitor!

I know they had a plan and it fell through because of the economy. I know their plan was supposed to generate more net income than the clubs did. I get that. But their failure to take any significant action to remedy the financial bleeding taking place cannot be excused. Living statues and small bands are cute but they hardly make up for what Pleasure Island
used to represent. I'm looking forward to the so-called outdoor ultra-lounge but why in the world do you put your Guests out in the humidity and rain when vacant air-conditioned buildings stand right behind?

Packed among the masses last night, I commented to a CityWalk general manager that they were really raking it in with PI closed. He just gave me a shit-eating grin. Disney's best kept secret? It ain't timeshares. It's when the hell are they going to take some real action out there!

No comments: