Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Trip Report: Montreal, Quebec

Several people mentioned that they wanted to see more pics from my Montreal trip than just the one of me standing in the snow that I posted on Facebook. So here it is. We began the day at Orlando International Airport for the early morning nonstop service on Air Canada Rouge.

Heading up into the blue Florida sky as downtown Orlando passed by.

And then three hours later coming out of the clouds to THIS!

Of course they know how to deal with snow in Montreal and plows kept the runways and tarmac pretty clear.

Welcome to YUL - Montreal.

If you're connecting here just follow the "Correspondances" sign. If you're staying, follow the sign for "Arrivees" and clear Immigration Canada. Single, male passengers can often get the third degree questioning as to why you're there but the officer asked me one question and then I was on my way. Currently Canada requires a covid19 PCR test within 72 hours of departure of your flight plus completion of the ArriveCAN app.

The Montreal airport still is not connected by rail to the city centre but the STM 747 bus is only C$10 (about US$8) for an all-day transit pass and there's a bus every 10-15 minutes. Tickets are purchased at a kiosk in the airport's arrivals area.

The bus does goes into the downtown core but my destination was closer to Metro Station: Peel so I departed the bus at it's first stop Metro Station: Lionel-Groulx and went the rest of the way via train.

I was soon along Rue Ste-Catherine, the main shopping drag and home to Canadian brands such as Roots, Garage, Hudson Bay Company and favorite Dollarama.

Canada Goose has a branch here too but I doubt it's cheaper than the United States since there is a steep 14.975% federal and provincial sales tax here!

I had hoped to have lunch downtown but under current covid19 guidelines, all restaurants are take-out only and since I did not have a hotel or car to eat in, there was nothing for me.

So it was  soon time to take the 747 bus back to the airport.

Where there fortunately is an exception to dining-in rules and I had the meal that Montreal is famous for: Steak & Frites!

My purpose for flying to Montreal was to attend Night 1 of Igloofest but I was aware it was cancelled from about a week in advance of the trip. I came anyway to keep my Air Canada/Star Alliance elite status for another year.

And after a 10 minute deicing bath, we were on our way back to Orlando!

No comments: