Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Trip Report: Railroads Of Fiji

Today is a slow news day on Pleasure Island so we'll run this filler article instead. The pics were taken last September in Nadi, Fiji where I stayed at the Fiji Gateway Hotel. The hotel is located across the main highway from Nadi International Airport. Crossing the entrance road into the airport was this railroad sign and a set of tracks.
I was curious about the tracks. They were of a 2-ft. narrow gauge and their silver polished tops were an indication of likely recent use. But over several days of my visit, I never saw or heard any trains.
But on my last day there, I heard the train's horn and made it to the track in time to see this tiny locomotive coming across the airport entrance road!
It was pulling 30+ tiny carriages of sugar cane!
For more than a century in Fiji, the cane trains take cut sugarcane from the fields to the crushing mills.
Fascinating!  The famed Sunshine Rail Line used to deliver passengers to Pleasure Island back in history and a couple months ago we had an article about it which you can find here.

No comments: