Tuesday, May 26, 2020

PI Update: The PI Annual Pass

During the final years of Pleasure Island, their Annual Pass cost $55.95 + tax. Since a 1-night All Club ticket alone cost $20.95 + tax, the Annual Pass was a bargain for anyone that would visit at least 3 times during a one year period. This was a no-brainer for us locals that would visit nearly every weekend. Their AP was good 364 nights during the year, the only black out date was New Years Eve. But since NYE was celebrated at midnight every night of the year, there was hardly a reason to attend on the real New Years Eve. 
Everyone had their own routines when visiting Pleasure Island. I spent close to zero time in any of the comedy clubs because I felt I might be missing something important in the dance clubs, lol. My standard routine was arriving around 10:30PM and heading to 8TRAX. It would usually be crowded earlier than the other clubs. At 11:30PM I would make the switch over to Mannequins which that early was just cranking up. There was an obligatory midnight visit to Motion because they played the Cupid Shuffle and Cha Cha Slide then but then it was back to Mannequins. Visits to Rock'n'Roll Beach Club and BET Soundstage happened occasionally but they were not part of the routine. 
Long live Pleasure Island!

2 comments:

zulemara said...

I never had an AP, but I definitely should have! CMs would have benefited greatly from that although most worked on the weekend of course!

I always started with Comedy Warehouse, then to 8-Trax for some good hits and then off to Mannequins. Sometimes I stayed in 8-Trax if it was the DJ I liked. One tended to play more of the rap/hip hop beat based stuff from the era while the other (DJ Eric!) hit the more pop/dance tunes. You can guess which one I liked!

The pains of not being 21 on my college program - I could never get into MDP thurs-sat when it was actually busy. Yet, I still enjoyed it every time I was in there. If only medical marijuana was legal back then...and that's all I have to say about that!

KingBob said...

Thanks for your memories. My office Christmas party was at 8TRAX in 2002 or 2003 and I believe DJ Eric was our DJ.