Monday, August 8, 2022

PI Update: 8TRAX In Virtual Reality

Ahh, beautiful Pleasure Island, home to numerous Disney-operated night clubs, all available for one admission price.

One of the most highly-themed clubs was called 8TRAX. When Pleasure Island opened in 1989, this venue opened as teen club Videopolis East which played New Wave. It was short-lived and replaced by Cage, playing New Wave, Alternative and Progressive. It too didn't last long either and by 1992, it became the heavily 70's Disco-themed 8TRAX.
 
During the early-2000's the club also added 80's Funk to the music mix.
 8TRAX, like the rest of Pleasure Island closed in September, 2008 and sat idle for close to a half decade. In 2010, a Save Pleasure Island Blog source provided us with photos of the inside of the club standing still in time. A nearby shop Curl by Sammy Duval was using the space for storage. Then in 2013 another source provided us with photos of the inside of 8TRAX under demolition with the colorful dance floor all dug up! And that would be our last visit to 8TRAX ever.....until now!

Blog reader Greg Mitchell has taken dozens of photos we've previously posted on Save Pleasure Island (and other sources) and using amazing computer skills has created a Virtual Reality visit to 8TRAX. Check it out on YouTube via this link:       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAW868gkYmE

Greg would love to hear your comments and ideas. You can use the Comment link below (Blogger membership not required) or comment on YouTube below the video (Google membership required).

11 comments:

Greg Mitchell said...

Thanks for putting this out there! 8-Trax was my favorite club when I moved down in ‘94. When I decided to try to create my own Virtual Reality world, 8-Trax was the natural first choice. Thanks to this blog and DJMadManRay’s YouTube videos, I’ve been able to refresh my memory enough, and pull out enough detail to get this far. I welcome any additional suggestions from others. This club is officially live on VRChat to explore (VirtualPI-8Trax). Not my favorite service, but it made it super easy to publish for others to explore.

I’d love to tackle Rock & Roll Beach Club next and then possibly Mannequins and Adventurer’s Club!

Thanks again for the great reference material. I couldn’t have made it this far without it!

Garry said...

This is incredible!

Anonymous said...

So many memories in there!

DJMadManRay said...

That's awesome. I love it! So glad the videos helped out! Will look forward to future makes also. Miss it, but with the great memories and Greg, we can live it again. Great job Greg, thank you!

Anonymous said...

If they make one for mannequins I will not leave the metaverse!

Greg Mitchell said...

Already found some good reference images here on the blog, at least for the main level/dance floor. If I can get some additional references for the upper level(s), I can probably knock it out pretty quickly. If you’ve got pics, send em!

KingBob said...

Greg, I don't recall ever taking any pictures from up on the 2nd or 3rd floors. If I entered Mannequins via the elevator to the 2nd floor, I immediately came downstairs. I think in earlier years those floors were quite the hang-out places and they had their own bars open for business. But in the latter years, it was rare anything was open upstairs except the bathrooms. But I'll look.

Anonymous said...

What is your email?

kin said...

king.bob.of.the.north@gmail.com
(Remove the periods)

Greg Mitchell said...

Gsmitchell724@gmail.com

Greg Mitchell said...

Progress on VirtualPI - Mannequins is under way! https://youtu.be/C34iQ0Pus_k