Thursday, November 26, 2009

Club Report: Tabu (Aahz Reunion)






Oh my God! I have just returned from the MOST INCREDIBLE house music concert I have ever seen. Yes, I've seen Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto, Ferry Corsten and even Sandra Collins multiple times. But this was beyond all of that. DJ's Dave Cannalte and Kimball Collins (both USA) returned to Orlando this evening to recreate their 90's "Wizards of AAHZ" routine at Tabu. Cannalte was most recently the Thursday night DJ at Mannequins.

The event officially began at 9pm yet the club was already crowded when I arrived fashionably late at 10:30pm. And it only got more crowded! Canalte's set was more subdued with easy to get along with Dance and House music. He played approximately the first 3 hours. His last song at the switch over ironically was Everybody's Free (to Feel Good). He told me he appreciated me recognizing it for what it was, the final song ever at Mannequins.

With that he turned it over to Kimball Collins. Although I must admit not recognizing 95% of what he played, it was an incredible mix of music that got the increasingly crowded dance floor into a frenzy. DJ Baby Anne (USA) came off the stage and was dancing near me. The crowd was overwhelmingly 35+, many probably original AAHZ night fans. I ran into at least a dozen Mannequins people in the crowd too including a former Mannequins manager. The night far exceeded my expectations. All I can say to those of you who missed this: WOW!

5 comments:

Moron said...

I didn't see you King Bob. It was incredible!

zulemara said...

awesome that they played everybody's free as an ode to Mannequins. That stuff really gets me. I'm sad I missed it!

Anonymous said...

Dave was AWSOME! Kimball was OK and I mean OK not great! wish Dave could have spun all night! I have allways loved the way Dave spins!!!!

Dee in DC said...

Is that a pink dress she's wearing?

KingBob said...

Not a dress, just a pink top. With black mini skirt! Nice.