Saturday, June 18, 2016

Club Reports: Nightown, Victor's, Cash's Faux Pas, Brannigan's (Destin/Fort Walton Beach)

Up in the Florida panhandle aka Destin / Fort Walton Beach the last couple days on business. Since I used to live here back in the day, decided to drop by some of my former haunts.
OMG, dance club Nightown in Destin is now closed! This placed opened in the mid-80's when I lived here and it closed last NYE.  That means it lasted 30 years!
When I lived here, this place was called Victor's and it was the top club in the area. Located on the mainland in Fort Walton Beach, The Block has a karaoke club, country music club (with a mechanical bull) and a Top 40 club.  When I last visited, I asked DJ Mr. VIP if anyone in the area played EDM?  He responded, "Not around here!"  I couldn't live here anymore.
Red Rose Gentlemen's Club is located on Okaloosa Island in a the building that formerly housed Cash's Faux Pas dance club.  Since it was across the street from the beach hotels, it was a top spot to meet tourist girls from Alabama, Mississippi & Louisiana.  Interestingly, RRGC was in the news today when a local Air Force commander banned servicemen from patronizing the place following some recent shootings and alleged rampant drug use and dealing!  Link here.  There are 3 Air Force bases surrounding Fort Walton Beach.
Owner Cash Moore always had a way with words!
Buffalo Sport Zone downtown on Miracle Strip Parkway has been a sports bar for some time now, replacing Luxe Sports Grill and Barley's. When I lived here, it was Brannigan's and at the DJ dance party on Thursday nights, I was one of the regular judges for their Foxy Lady contest.  Seems like they played a lot of 80's back then!
This stage overlooking Santa Rosa Sound and Okaloosa Island will be home for next weekend's Thrive Music Fest.  No DJ's, just bands. Some places never change!
But I'm here for business and not for clubs so this was my Friday evening plan before flying back to Orlando later today for some real music!  Once home, a good time will be had by all!

15 comments:

Bella’smom said...

Would be interesting to know the name of the writer, I lived in Fort Walton went school at Choctawhatchee high and danced at Victor’s, Panama Jack’s, and several others.

KingBob said...

Not sure if you will see this since you posted a Comment in an old article. My name is KingBob and my Facebook page is:
https://www.facebook.com/king.bob.7505

Chris said...

Victor's was the place back in 82 83. My God I had a good time there. Stationed at Hurlburt. Parrish dolezal, and the guys. Miss those days

heidi said...

I lived in ft. walton in 86-87 & 89-91 and Victor's was lots of fun...remember the billboard with the legs in high heels? That was me! 😊 What a simpler (better) time to be young...so lucky to be there back then.

Anonymous said...

Always fun at Victors! Libed there 84/88

Debbie said...

I am from Fort Walton Beach and I went to FWB HIGH. I used to go to Victors Daddy's Money and Brannigans
I went to the pool halls and The Kings Den
If it was a bar I was there. I need when ladies night was on Eedn9 at Victors Daddy's Money and Brannigans and beat the clock on Thursdays. Good yes and great memories. Oh and I loved The Little Bar and Timbers.

Debbie said...

Loved Victors. I was there 5 nights a week along with other bars I never stayed home. Those were the best days for sure 😊😊

KingBob said...

Heidi, just now seeing your note. Debbie, 5 nights per week!?
My Facebook is: https://www.facebook.com/king.bob.7505

Scott Lynn said...

83/85 best years ever for Victor's

KingBob said...

Scott Lynn, I don't disagree!

JohnP said...

Victor's had a connection to the Robert E Lee Showboat in Biloxi, MS. DJ at both places was a guy named Eric Sherry.

JR said...

For several years there was a DJ at Victor's from Biloxi named Eric Sherry. What ever happened to him?

KingBob said...

I don't know Eric Sherry.

Anonymous said...

Ok so I am asking a question on behalf of my father inlaw, who has taken a shot with Larry Lobello from the bar mat at Victors

KingBob said...

For those of you posting comments/questions in 2023, please be aware that this article was published in 2016. It's thus unlikely anyone is going to see your inquiry unless they happen to Search for a Victor's or Nightown article. But thanks for doing just that and finding it!