Thursday, May 5, 2011
PI Update: Rumor Update About Clubs Reopening
1) Under the reported concept of this rumor, 3rd party operators who needed it could operate under Downtown Disney's liquor license umbrella.That's an option being offered. We're told that's how Fuego/Sosa Cigars operates.
2) Previously mentioned that any clubs that reopened would have to be different (yet could be similar) from what was there before. But they would have to be great concepts to be approved.
3) Apparently DTD management is debating whether to move forward with rebuilding the island which is the more expensive path or just following the renovation path and using existing spaces. Apparently there are some interested 3rd parties who prefer the latter. Rent on renovated space comes far cheaper than rent could possibly be on new construction. (This rumor, which was heard subsequent to the rumor published last week, might actually pre-date last week's rumor and last week's rumor is fresher and more accurate. Don't know.)
4) On April 20th the Blog published a photo of construction work taking place behind Portobello. Some chatter in internet forums saying that this proved Hyperion Wharf was underway. As I stated in that article, all that is being constructed back there is a new service entrance for the restaurant. They must build a new way in and out for service workers since the side entry is being taken away. It's being taken away because the new pathway must still be built; they tore down Motion and RRBC to build that! That part of the HW concept will get completed. We could see some new shops. But the light house restaurant; very questionable per rumors. The amphitheater? Have not heard more about it. Personally, I feel it will get built once other Island decisions are made.
5) Heard a new rumor last night that allegedly comes from a construction person who told a source that after remodeling, Adventurers Club, Comedy Warehouse and Mannequins were coming back. No mention of 8TRAX or Soundstage. However, thinking through what a construction worker might know, I'm assuming here that he was referring to the building names rather than the specific club names. The AC building includes Soundstage and the Mannequins building includes 8TRAX. Doesn't mean any of these clubs are coming back specifically, just the buildings may be coming back with new club names.
That's all I know for now. Again, all just rumors which we hope come true and bring Pleasure Island back to life!