Thursday, May 31, 2018

Concert Report: Sirius/XM BASSment (New York City)

Ever since I was invited to the grand opening party for satellite radio provider Sirius/XM's "Studio 54 Radio" back in 2011 (Link), I've received invitations from them to several other opening events! So when I found an email from them to attend the opening for their new live show BPM BASSment, I had to find a way to attend. So thanks to frequent flyer miles, I found myself on Wednesday afternoon inside Sirius/XM Studios in downtown Manhattan, New York City for their show with initial guest DJ Afrojack.
Located up on the 36th floor of a high rise on Avenue of the Americas, check-in was occurring for invited guests and contest winners.
And right off their lobby, they have a glassed-in sound studio.

And when I peered inside, there he was: DJ Afrojack (NL)

Inside, the sound canopy over the room.
Their new live show "BPM BASSment" was introduced by radio personality Geronimo who spent about 10 minutes chatting with Afrojack before allowing the music to take over. We learned that Afrojack's DJ name, his real name is Nick van de Wall, came from his friends calling him "Afro" in high school because of his hairstyle and he added "Jack" from the classic House song "My House (House That Jack Built)". And he would open with that song!
And for the next 50 minutes he would go through a variety of fast-paced songs that included Darude (FIN) "Sandstorm", Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike (B) "Mammoth vs Beef" and Daft Punk (F) classic "Around The World".
Most of his selections had vocals and it was heavily EDM with a small amount of Bass and Trap.
There was about 50 of us in the soundstage and we were encouraged to whoop it up because we were live on the air!
In the 2018 DJMag readers poll, Afrojack was ranked No. 8 in the world!
Taking pictures of us taking pictures of him!
Ending with his own hit "Can't Stop Me" ft. Shermanology (NL).
A good time was had by all!
I came and went so fast, I had to take some pictures just to prove to myself later that I was actually there!
For those wanting to know my intra-city travel arrangements, I flew into New York - JFK and took the JFK AirTrain from my terminal to Jamaica station.  There I picked up the Long Island Rail Road into Penn Station. The Subway E Train is also an option into Manhattan from Jamaica.
Travel between Penn Station and Sirius/XM Studios was via the Subway 1 train.
My flight home was from New York-Newark so that entailed NJTransit from Penn Station to Newark Airport station, connecting to the Newark AirTrain to my terminal.
Big thanks to Sirius/XM for the hook-up to attend this awesome show!

2 comments:

Dr pinna said...

What a fun experience!

KingBob said...

Yes, it was pretty amazing to be there!