Sunday, August 28, 2011

PI Update: Will Our Dream Come True?

For over two years Blog readers kept the faith that their beloved Island would return in some form. The seemingly disasterous announcement last Fall about Hyperion Wharf was good in that Disney finally announced something about the Island but was overall really bad news because all sources were reporting that HW included restaurants and shops but no clubs. At that point the best we could hope for was a restaurant or two that offered adult dance entertainment in some form later in the evening. Rock'n'Roll Beach Club and club Motion came down and the new pathway construction began. But then suddenly everything came to a stop!

The Blog reported in April from a credible source that Hyperion Wharf was put on hold indefinitely and there would be no more demolitions. The source also stated specifically that PI management had toured all the old club buildings to determine the condition because they had a new plan; third parties could reopen the old clubs as clubs if that's what they wanted. The clubs would have to be different from what was there previously. But they could be similar. Apparently there are third party operators who are interested in clubs for Pleasure Island where seemingly few to none were interested in more restaurants.

Subsequently we published the Construction Permits for the existing club buildings and things are happening. Were the permits merely to take existing signs with the old names down? It's possible but they've had three years to accomplish that when suddenly they're all coming down...now...subsequent to our highly-sourced rumor about reopenings with different club names. We have Tom Staggs posting on the Disney Parks Blog a few days about several incredible new projects coming including to Downtown Disney.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/08/special-thanks-to-d23-expo-attendees/

Unfortunately the computers on board this ship won't allow me to download the latest PI pics so they will have to wait. But right now as we approach the 3rd Anniversay of the closing of Pleasure Island we appear to be on the cusp of the best news ever. So we have reason to continue to hang in there!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on "Good News!", I really miss Pleasure Island...

ReelJustice said...

Seems like there is potential for some good things to start happening very soon. I've heard a few different things, but we'll have a good idea what's happening pretty soon IMO.

Michael said...

According to sources, casting for Pleasure Island roles is set to begin soon. Pretty exciting stuff. Hopefully it all happens!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the third parties that will be coming will fix up the clubs, and reopen them.
So that everyone can dance and party.

P.S.
Yes there is a reason to hang in there, hope for the best.

zulemara said...

Wouldn't casting for PI indicate Disney run? or perhaps they would have Disney sell tickets but the clubs all be 3rd party?

Michael said...

^^Assuming that 3rd parties are indeed going to be running the clubs or all of the clubs.

Anonymous said...

Going by ReelJustices's comments, it sounds like there is hope for the ideal situation - disney running AC whilst allowing 3rd parties to run the dance clubs.

71 said...

Word is they might ALL be Disney-run. At least whatever clubs are re-opened, that much still isn't clear to me.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

More fuel to the fire from well-connected Lee from WDWMagic/Discussion Kingdom:

<>

Michael said...

"Speaking of talking masks...
I can't swear it's related, but a source sent me a photo from WDI Florida. A cardboard box containing masks wrapped in bubble-wrap. Electronics clearly visible on the back of one.



(The same source sent me a photo of the rescued Colonel, manning a desk at WDI.)"

Anonymous said...

Kungaloosh!

KingBob said...

Disney-run clubs reopening would be incredible and far exceed expectations! We're all hoping one way or another but it certainly makes sense that Disney would have to operate AC if it were to reopen. Thanks ReelJustice and 71Jason for the updates!
KINGBOB/just off shore Tallin

Anonymous said...

hey zulemara thought you knew what is going on!!??? you are the one who hears things and not this.

zulemara said...

I don't hear everything. I observe a lot and in some cases I might run across people who have some knowledge of things, but always take it with a grain of salt.

Michael said...

And in Zulemara's defense. Alot of this is very, very, VERY recent stuff.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes executive job reassignments are good things (like now, apparently).

Anonymous said...

Let's hope that 'the powers that be' at Disney have heard the cries of the masses and finally realize that PI was loved by so many, many people. Please, Disney, reopen some clubs, we LOVE to party at Disney... fun and safe, what more could you ask for???

Anonymous said...

funny!!!
I have heard/hear stuff and I am told that I CAN"T be right about it! is why I asked! and from CM's that still work there like Zule! just think it is funny how people want to listen to him and think I am full of SH*T!

zulemara said...

< opinion >That's because the crap you post directly contradicts what anyone can view with their own 2 eyes if they know what button to push or chain to cross.
< /opinion>
< fact>
When I post things as fact I am not posting them as rumors, I'm posting them as things I have directly observed.
< /fact>

< statement>
That's all I have to say. You come in here picking fights with me and I'm not taking the bait any longer. My record of consistently providing pictures and updates, much of which has come true, speaks for itself. I encourage everyone else to ignore the troll as well.
< /statement>

Anonymous said...

First thing First Zulemara I am NOT picking a fight with you! your the one who seams to get ticket off. (when most people who get this mad seam to be not telling the truth?) not saying you are but.....

I was Simply saying that it is funny how you have the truth!? and I can't hear something different???? that could could not be true?
I am not the only one who posts these things. I am one of....? I have seen other(s) post and NOT agree with you POINT of view? why do you seam to point your anger at me (us)

and yes at First I would say "fact" but not any more! I would post as hear say! as in the words "I HAVE HEARD" and that has come form LIKE I said from a CM!!!!! and I hear heard 3 versions of the same thing!

and the NAME calling from you! I have NEVER done any name calling and NEVER will! I do not try and belittle others! I guess that will make others not listen to me?

I would hope that Mr. KingBob will delete that part of your post? as he said he will/would.

so all in all respond if you want. but we all hear things that the other do not and that can be different!??
I think Disney is reading this and sit back and laugh!

so LET ME say this I was not trying to tick you off if I did I do apologize to you Zulemara.

Anonymous said...

I see that the NAME calling is still there. I thought you would not allow this Bob?
just goes to show your intelligence and maturity level! keep on Zulemara.
thank you.