Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mash-up Example

One question that I receive fairly often is "What is a Mash-up?". The answer is always kind of difficult to put into words; you really need to hear an example and then you know what it is. Last night DJ Mickey Bono played this mashed song which I had never ever heard before. This is an incredible mixing of Rihanna's Only Girl In The World song with the Mannequins classic, Faithless' Insomnia. Listen how these two improbable songs have been merged into one and then you'll know what a Mash-up is. This is DJ's From Mars, Rihanna vs Faithless.

8 comments:

zulemara said...

< shock and opinion>That song is SO mannequins that even I remember it!!!! I remember it on the last night. It brings tears to my eyes.< /shock and opinion>

KingBob said...

Yes, this was a Final Night song!

Anonymous said...

I rarely used mashups; most of the ideas should never be tried. But that's just me. ;)

Brian said...

[Opinion]
that is a later years Mannequins Song.
from the early years no! in the early years as far as I know they didn't do mash-ups! and I personally do not care for them. there are a FEW that I like but very few.
but like I said my Opinion!

KingBob said...

I don't particularly care for mash-ups either but this one caught me off-guard. I'm hearing Mickey Bono put on a Rihanna song and then all of a sudden it turns into Insomnia! The lighting was adjusted at the same moments and I'm thinking this overall younger crowd probably doesn't even know Insomnia. But their reaction was very favorable.

zulemara said...

sorry I meant I remember insomnia from mannequins, not the mashup itself.

Anonymous said...

Mannequins opening in Summer of 1989 would have been playing mixes of "Pump up the jam" "3 am eternal", "Ride on time" "Back to life", "Ain't nobody", "Express yourself" etc. 80's Rap was just begining its mutation into 90's HipHop and a new sound called Grunge was emerging out of the Pacific North West, led by unknown bands with names like Nirvana.

Anonymous said...

I remember one that they played in Mannequins... it was "Jump" by Van Halen mixed with "Jump, Everybody, Jump" by The Movement. OH, I miss my club!!!