Tuesday, November 23, 2010
PI Rumor Update
1) If you recall from the Blog's Februrary 28th article, I reported on a possible water and light show that was being designed for Village Lake. It's purpose was to draw patrons to Downtown Disney where they could enjoy the free show but then stick around for dining and shopping. This was not a duplicate of the new World of Color show at Disney California Adventure but it would have involved intricate fountains nonetheless. Well, those plans are on hold as the Hyperion Wharf redo takes place instead. But the lake will be gaining 5 new water fountains that will have motion, but nothing like what was planned.
2) In that same article, I mentioned concept art that displayed a yellow trolley system operating at Downtown Disney. Apparently that plan is on and will use the same equipment that is planned for Disney California Adventure. The trolley track(s) will run along the edge of DTD along with a reworked parking lot. The track would be landscaped and there would be some walls; a fire lane would also coexist. They would love to have it run west to Old Key West Resort and north to Saratoga Springs Resort but the cost of including that length would probably prohibit it from happening.
3) In conjunction with a trolley system, the DTD internal boat transportation system would be eliminated. Boats would still operate between DTD Marketplace and some resorts to the north though.
4) Rumors continue that House of Blues will be leaving Downtown Disney West Side and moving to downtown Orlando, possibly to Church Street Station. I previously reported from a different source that HOB was closing but this makes more sense that they would just be relocating. One question is whether Amway Center has any kind of non-compete clause with Live Nation for music concerts. Live Nation has owned the House of Blues chain since 2006. This would be a fantastic addition to downtown!
5) Moving into a then vacant HOB building would then be another Schussler Creative concept; a motorcycle-theme restaurant. The Blog previously reported on Schussler's Backyard BBQ featuring Orange County Choppers restaurant coming to DTD but perhaps switching to the Harley Davidson Cafe brand allows the existing Orlando Harley store to operate in conjunction with a restaurant of the same brand.
6) Those poles around the new waterfront amphitheater are actually screens which can display old style posters during the day and videos at night.
7) They want to make Downtown Disney into more of a lifestyle center; a destination for locals and tourists alike rather than just a shopping center. Thus, expect more festivals and special events. Valet parking will be an important addition. There apparently is a big internal debate going on whether to charge everyone to park at Downtown Disney, just as CityWalk already does.
Big thanks to the reader that contributed this information. We'll see how things play out!