Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Trance

Last Saturday I was listening to RadioDanz.com and they played a Trance song that about blew me away. Since I have no PI news to report today, I thought I'd share it with you. It's not uncommon to be asked to explain the difference between House and Dance and Trance. The answer is always difficult to put into words but this song by DJ John O'Callaghan (IRL) is a perfect example of Trance. It has the 3 major elements that (to me) define Trance perfection:

1) Female vocals: A lot of Trance is music-only with no vocals. Some trance songs have male vocals. But to me you can't have a perfect Trance song without the female singer. In this song Surreal, singer Jaren brings the necessary "haunting dreamlike" quality to the song. That's why it's called Trance. Her dreamy vocals begin around 1:40.

2) A Trance song must have a build-up. The build-up begins around 3:35.

3) Finally a trance song must have the crash-down. That's the part of various songs where the CO2 spraydown occurred at Mannequins. This occurs here around 4:31.

The video is nothing; this is all about the song. Crank it up! Hope you like it.

No comments: