Sunday, December 27, 2009

Club Report: Atlantic Dance Hall



I planned to go watch DJ Mark Sanchez (USA) at Suite B last night but first I needed to swing by ADH to verify New Years Eve details. I never left. Although the crowd never made it past moderate in size, there were just too may PI people there to leave. And that remains the main attraction of Atlantic Dance Hall; you nearly always run into Mannequins, 8TRAX and Motion friends. The music mix absolutely sucked last night; the Saturday night DJ is horrible IMO. I mean, who else would have the dance crowd moving to a Top 40 hit and then leave them hanging with a Swing song! Fortunately NYE will feature DJ Tony Z, someone who knows how to blend music. I'll be repeating NYE details in tomorrow's article.

7 comments:

zulemara said...

hey look, I changed my name from none..finally! Swing after top 40s? ouch! If you're gonna jump back 70 years, you have to at least gets yourself back into the 60s before you throw in a swing song. I always said ADH is like a constant wedding, but I would hope no wedding DJ would do top 40s followed by swing! Requests are hard to deal with though, so I'm sure that's what brought it on, and ppl are very impatient about their requests a lot of the time.

Anonymous said...

I smell a Chicken Dance coming on...or maybe a Macarena??!!

Anonymous said...

When PI closed the clubs, ADH should have started theme nights. Mannequins Thursdays, 8TRAX Fridays, and Motions on Saturdays.

zulemara said...

yeah...we know, but they won't cuz of conventions.

Anonymous said...

forget that. Mannequins on Saturday nights!

KingBob said...

Yes, one couple kept requesting the Swing songs and he played at least 3 of them. And the fact that ADH was built as a Swing club is not lost on me. But Swing was big in the 90's and it ain't no more! Had someone requested some Waylon Jennings, would he have played it? Had someone requested some George Gershwin, would he have played it? A DJ in a facility like this has the authority to say NO. DJ Tony Z....if you're reading this....I'm hoping not to hear ZOOT SUIT RIOT on NYE!

Anonymous said...

Zoot Suit Riot! They actually played that. No way, you're killing me.